After more than fifty years of artistic service to our community, the story of the St. Clair Theatre Guild regretfully has come to an end.
We leave, however, with a legacy of theatrical productions, training, and fellowship that will be long remembered by those who were fortunate to take part in the Guild’s work since 1966.
Our final production, fittingly, was a celebration of our 50th Anniversary in 2016.
To close out our business as a non-profit association, we have some housekeeping to do:
- The City of Saint Clair will be taking over the rehearsal and storage building on Goffe St. in Klecha Park. While the building itself was paid for by the Guild, the property belongs to the city and we’ve been paying a nominal annual rent for its use for over twenty years. We thank the city for its partnership with us.
- In order to prepare the building for its new use with the city’s Beautification Commission, we need to clean some things out. To that end, we are scheduling three “open house” dates (see the separate post below). Anyone interested in set pieces, props, costumes, tools, or other items that we have squirreled away is invited to attend. Most of the items will be free for the taking, and we’ll be inviting other non-profit theater, church, and other groups to stop by and see if we have something they can use. A few items will have nominal “Buy It Now” prices and/or optional closed bidding; they will be clearly marked.
- The Guild had around $2,000 remaining in its bank accounts, and we have sold a few items already. Any funds remaining after settling any remaining debts will be donated to the St. Clair Art Association.
We sincerely thank everyone who has participated, attended, or otherwise supported the St. Clair Theatre Guild for over five decades. Times have changed, and it’s past time for us to change as well. Please continue to support live theater and the arts in your community!
We have scheduled three “open house” dates to clear out as much of the stuff stored in the Guild building as possible before turning it over to the City of St. Clair.
The three dates and times are:
- Saturday, July 30 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 3 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 7 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Anyone interested in set pieces, props, costumes, tools, or other items that we have squirreled away is invited to attend. Most of the items will be free for the taking, and we’ll be inviting other non-profit theater, church, and other groups to stop by and see if we have something they can use.
We have lots of useful items in our building that need new homes, including:
- tables and chairs
- filing cabinets and desks
- lighting equipment
- sound equipment
- performance risers and stairs
- set pieces and props
- costumes, costumes, costumes
- and more!
A few items will have nominal “Buy It Now” prices and/or optional closed bidding; they will be clearly marked.
The Guild building is located at 1457 Goffe St. on the south side of St. Clair, in Klecha Park. Enter off Goffe St. into the gravel parking lot near the baseball and soccer fields; the building is the tan-colored pole barn on the right.
Google Maps link
There will be a special membership meeting of the St. Clair Theatre Guild on Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. at the Guild Building on Goffe St. in St. Clair.
The purpose of the meeting will be to resolve the status of the Guild in light of the inactivity over the past few years.
The Guild already faced significant challenges before the COVID pandemic occurred, but that accelerated the end of our five decades as a theater performance group.
All former members of the Guild are invited to attend. There are no current members since no dues have been collected since 2019, and there are no current members of the Board of Directors since there have been no Annual Meetings – and therefore elections – since September 2019 as well.
We do not propose this action lightly. The St. Clair Theatre Guild has provided over fifty years of entertainment and enjoyment to generations of people in St. Clair and the surrounding area. But the landscape of live theater has changed dramatically – no pun intended – in the past decade, and the time to move on has come.
The proposed agenda for the meeting is as follows:
- Appointment of a temporary chair for the meeting
- Adoption of the agenda
- Suspension of the rules regarding payment of dues for membership (By-Laws 1-a) to allow those present to be active members
- Dissolution of the corporation (per By-Laws 6-c)
- Appointment of an agent to handle details of the dissolution
If there are those who wish to continue the Guild as an active operation, that option may be considered at this meeting as well; however, anyone interested in continuing the Guild’s operations should come prepared to assume immediate responsibility for the corporation and its legal and financial commitments.
Please join us on June 26 as we celebrate the storied history of the St. Clair Theatre Guild and make the needed decisions about its future.